[linux-audio-dev] midi keyboard & alsa & timidiy suspend my whole system !!

Juan Linietsky coding at reduz.com.ar
Sat Oct 11 18:51:00 UTC 2003

On Saturday 11 October 2003 10:00, hexe_2003 at directbox.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I bought a MIDI-keyboard a couple of days ago. It did not work correctly,
> and I described my prob at lau. They told me that my ESS-Solo1 card is not
> able to use MIDI ( under Linux or generally ?). Well, ok, I exchanged my
> card with my fathers ( ES-1379 or simular ). Alsa supports it, I configured
> it and can listen to sounds. If I start timidity in alsa mode ( "$ timidity
> -iA")  and then attach my MIDI device with timidiy via "$ acconnect 64
> 128", my system completely hangs!!! I must reboot via the reset-button!!
> That's exactly the problem I had while I tried it ( the  same way) with my
> ESS-Solo1. Well, I am using Debian unstable, alsa version 0.9.0.beta12,
> have a 2.4.21-xfs kernel installed. Secondly, RG4-sequencer is NOT able to
> start MIDI and I have no sound at all. Is it alsa's fault ? Is it mine ?

I think timidity runs with SCHED_FIFO priorities when root. Despite it's
great mixing quality, unparalleled speed (nothing compares to it in terms
of minimum cpu usage), midi support, etc. It's an horribly complex, buggy and
unstable application. Did you try fluidsynth instead? It may use a lot more
cpu and have poor midi support compared to timidity, but it should work
and load soundfonts pretty well.

Juan Linietsky