[linux-audio-dev] Re: Hello and Python bindings for LADSPA

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 14:28:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 15:05 +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> So if i understand you correctly, each host needs to present a
> specific gui for plugins. Doesn't this make ladspa not partcularly
> 'pluggable' if the host needs to know about plugins in the first
> place? I thought the point of ladspa was that you could just install
> third party pluginsand the gui would just work.

It does "just work", you just get generic GUIs instead of
plugin-specific ones.

There are some "port hints" in the plugin that specify whether a certain
parameter is interpreted as an integer, a boolean, has upper or lower
bounds etc that the host can use to decide whether it should use a
spinbutton or a checkbox or a slider or something else for that
parameter.

You could look at some existing LADSPA hosts with GUIs (e.g. JACK-rack,
Ardour, Om, Hydrogen) to see how they do it.

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E