[LAD] Playing Audio Over CAT5

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Oct 1 09:40:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Montag, 1. Oktober 2007 schrieb Tosif Ahmed:
> >> Your WRT is an
> >> Ethernet device, which knows how to encode and decode IP traffic for
> >> networking purposes.  However it has absolutely no analog connection
> >> to the CAT5 cable.
> Thanks for that cheerful explanation. Actually I did have those doubts in
> my mind earlier, but there is another thing which i think can come over
> this problem. As i mentioned earlier that the router has OpenWRT firmware
> installed on  it, so can i not write my own Digital To Analog Converter (If
> this is wat you mean by "no analog connection to the CAT5 Cable.)?

The Digital-To-Analog-Converter (DAC for short) is a hardware-part, you can
not replace it by something software (1). And as the WRT doesn't have DACs on
the outputs (at least not with the resolution you want), you can never use it
to output analog audio signals.

> Or probably, pass on the digital data to an external hardware DAC, which
> can then pass it on to the speaker.

That would be a box which accepts digital audio over ethernet and outputs
analog audio. Something like a small computer running netjack...

Arnold

1: Well, maybe you can try to create a Pulse-Width-Modulated analog-signal,
but that probably not the audio-quality you want and will take you probably
ages to program/develop...
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---