[LAD] LV2 " isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

Benno Senoner benno.senoner at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:55:54 UTC 2008

I apologize if hurted or offended anyone it was not my intention, after all
we share all
the same goal of better and free tools to make music.
Perhaps people got irritated by Justin's comments on LV2 which probably only
took
a quick look at the LV2 so as Dave R. pointed out (thanks) most of his
concerns are
unfounded.

At least the discussion is now taking the right direction and  I hope the
outcome will
be positive.

BTW in case you did not notice the release of VST3 sparked a long discussion
on
kvraudio.com and over there smaller vst plugin developers are upset and are
now
talking to join forces and develop an open standard which can easily wrap
VST2.4
or AU and the idea is getting developers to write for that standard and
having
wrappers (I think compile time) that make a VST or AU plugin out of it.
here is the thread: (reached already a few hundred messages :) )
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204080&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=121637eee847f3945bfdd7fb66f75823

I guess Steinberg will try to push VST3 to gain a competitive advantage and
if the community does not react now Steinberg will probably discontinue VST
2.4
over time in order to encourage VST3 adoption (As apple discontinued VST in
order to
push AU after having bought out emagic)

Perhaps now the time is right for everyone joining forces and together try
to find a solution
that both enables backwards compatibility with VST, AU but at the same time
is
extensible.

thanks everyone,
Benno