[LAD] LADI

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:30:53 UTC 2009

Alex Stone:

I do electronic music. Which means I cannot just "record" a song. If I
record some TB-303
kinda line and I have all the cutoff filter tweaks I made in real time and
recorded that to audio in Qtractor,
and later I want to, say, omit a note or change the cutoff automation, I
cannot do this with audio. I
have to rerecord everything and since Qtractor does not have automation, I
actually have to re-perform
the whole thing.
Ardour has automation but no midi.
So making an electronic kinda track is very tough.

Paul Davis:

Very well said. This is why I am asking questions. At the same time I am
throwing in my thoughts, so that
you, the devs, could see what musicians might or might not need. Perhaps I
do not know a 100% what I want,
but some things I do know.

Of course, my blank statement was an incorrect generalization, I agree and
will try not to generalize in the future.
It is also evident to me as well that I am very new to linux audio, this is
why I generally do not post to this list ;)

Basically, the kind of music I do is based on manipulating sound through
effects, sweeping filters, vocoders.
So to me it is important to have automation and at the same time to go back
to any moment in the song and change
something. In other words, I need to have the song in "development" mode.
Atm, I do not know how to work in, say,
Qtractor and not render things to audio in order to work with them, same
with Ardour. If Ardour gets midi maybe this is
going to change.

Anyway, all of the above is just my workflow. Might no be interesting to
anyone else, of course.

Louigi.