[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 25 18:34:45 UTC 2009

Jan Weil wrote:
> (multiple versions of jackd etc.).

For Linux I'm just a user and not a coder, so my input here might not be
clever, but it's from the sight of a user ;).

If I'm fine with versions of libs, I might use a new Linux install too,
because for some reasons there might be the need to use also some new
dependencies, but I still can keep an old Linux installation too, space
on hard discs isn't expensive these day (and I'm really poor for a
European).

Assumed that I want to work on an old project with some old DSSIs and
LADSPAs (until now there seems to be less LV2s) and dependencies still
would be fine for different versions off plug ins, it would be good if I
can chose the version.

If I understand it right, it might be that two coders randomly can use
identical descriptions and the user can run into trouble because of
this. I guess a coder simply can describe his plug in unique.

Instead of 'compressor', 'compressor_by_coder_x_version_y'. I don't know
if it's that easy ;), because I don't have knowledge about the
standards. The names that appear in my hosts are similar to 'my idea',
e.g. 'C* Blabla' and TAB Blabla', in addition there only seems to be the
need to add the version.

Isn't it that easy?

Ralf