[LAD] MidiSport vs. UA25

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Sep 24 12:08:58 UTC 2009

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been experimenting with MIDI control from one machine to another. I
> checked the timing of a single note played simultanesouly by instances
> of QSynth on both machines and was surprised to hear a very noticeable
> flamming. I then replaced the MidiSport 2x2 with my Edirol UA25 and the
> flamming disappeared. Both are USB interfaces, btw. MIDI routing between
> the machines is handled by a Yamaha MJC8 and has never been problematic
> with that box.
>
> So, my question(s): Is the MidiSport just poorly designed and is there a
> further condition or module option that can correct the timing delay
> from that unit ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Very interesting!

Are you sure that it is just delay? I've got disastrous jitter with my
Swissonic USB device. I would be happy if it's caused by the Swissonic
device. I couldn't check if MIDI would have no jitter when I use the MPU
of the Envy24 of my TerraTec EWX 24/96 sound card, all circuits I tried
on a BreadBoard failed and I also didn't test any other interface.

For me it's good news that one of your USB devices fails, while the
other is fine ;). It gives me hope that just the Swissonic USB device is
bad.

Cheers,
Ralf