[LAD] MidiSport vs. UA25

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Sep 24 14:19:07 UTC 2009

Dave Phillips wrote:
> I've been experimenting with MIDI control from one machine to another. I
> checked the timing of a single note played simultanesouly by instances
> of QSynth on both machines and was surprised to hear a very noticeable
> flamming. I then replaced the MidiSport 2x2 with my Edirol UA25 and the
> flamming disappeared. Both are USB interfaces, btw. MIDI routing between
> the machines is handled by a Yamaha MJC8 and has never been problematic
> with that box.
>
> So, my question(s): Is the MidiSport just poorly designed

Yes, having to load firmware is awful, but this should not affect
latency.  :)

> and is there a further condition or module option that can correct the
> timing delay from that unit ?

No.

It is possible that the devices have different buffer sizes, so that
sending multiple MIDI messages at once is more difficult.  Have a look
at the respective values of wMaxPacketSize that are shown in the output
of "lsusb -v".  Furthermore, the devices can have different internal
buffers.

Which interface did you use for sending/receiving?

Best regards,
Clemens