[LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 22:45:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 00:04 +0200, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:

> What an EQ is supposed to do doesn't in any way depend on the
> signal level. As long as you don't have any non-linear things
> in the signal chain (dynamics and some effects) it doesn't
> matter where you do the EQ.

Except that pre fade aux sends are typically tapped off post EQ by
default, so (at least in an analogue console) you need the EQ pre fader
to give a point that is post EQ but pre fader for feeding any aux sends
switched to 'pre'.
Also, you want the fader as close to the mix bus as you can get it so
that the self noise of the channel strip is attenuated by the fader (and
possibly the mute switch) rather then having the noise contribution from
48 sets of EQ always present on the output (even when only one or two
channels are routed).

Of course in a digital system you can do almost anything routing wise
trivially.

It seems to me that for the envy24 case we DONT want to pretend to be a
mixer in the general sense of the term, what is wanted is far more like
a set of input meters, control over the codecs and (possibly) a routing
matrix, everything else is better handled further up the stack.

Regards, Dan.