[LAD] Canonical sound position opening

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Feb 11 16:03:09 UTC 2010

Forwind info wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A new position has come up at Canonical (ubuntu) for a sound software
> engineer.
> Details are below. You can apply online from here
> http://webapps.ubuntu.com/employment/canonical_UDSE/
>

> Job Title:  Ubuntu Desktop Sound Engineer
> Posting Date & id: February 2010 UDSE
> Job Location: Your home, given appropriate facilities including
> broadband Internet
> Reports to: Ubuntu Desktop Team Manager
> Job Summary: We are seeking a Desktop Integration Engineer to play a
> key development and integration role on
> the Ubuntu Desktop Team ­ one of the technical teams that makes up the
> Ubuntu Platform Team. As part of the
> core Ubuntu team, the Engineer will work on a broad range of technical
> tasks: including feature planning,
> packaging, integration,bug­fixing and maintenance. The successful
> candidate will ensure a first class user
> experience by packaging,  bug fixing and development of Pulseaudio and
> related sound technology and
> applications. Strong communication and relationship skills are as
> important as superb technical skills in this role,
> as the successful candidate will be responsible for process
> communication and coordination between Ubuntu and
> external partners, as well as ensuring commonality of purpose and
> technical approach. This job involves
> international travel several times a year, usually for one week.
> Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
>          Take on primary maintenance of some components of the Ubuntu
> Desktop, covering sound related areas.
>>          Engage in bug­fixing work across a wide variety of components
> of the Ubuntu platform.
>>          Assist   in   pre­release   testing   of  Ubuntu,  taking
> personal   ownership   of  problems   and   driving   them  to
>>          solutions.
>          Collaborate with other teams in the Ubuntu community and with
> upstream developers where appropriate,
>>          to make sure that Ubuntu includes the very best in free
> software and that our goals are taken into account
>          by other projects.
>          Work directly with OEMs or in conjunction with the Canonical
> OEM team to address customer needs on
>>          aggressive time lines.
>          When necessary, respond to and work to resolve issues raised
> by end users and commercial support
>>
> customers.
>
> Required skills and experience:
>          Familiarity with open source development tools and
> methodology, especially those in common use for
>>          Ubuntu and Debian package maintenance.
>          Strong understanding of the make­up of a modern GNU/Linux
> distribution.
>>          Strong interests and experience with a variety of the
> software that makes up the core of Ubuntu.
>>          Strong interests and experience with Pulseaudio, Alsa, and
> other sound related technology and

Why not removing Pulseaudio like 64 Studio does?

>>          applications on Linux.
>          Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques.
>>          Hands­on experience with concepts of agile development and
> lean software engineering.
>>          Deep understanding of, and extensive use of, desktop
> operating systems; especially the GNOME and
>>          KDE platforms.
>          Excellent English communications skills.
>>          Excellent online communications skills, including IRC, email,
> and other online venues.
>>          Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team
> through self­discipline and self­motivation,
>>          delivering according to a schedule.
>   Ability to collaborate in real time with team members in Eastern US
> and European time zones.

Assumed the philosophy of FLOSS isn't competition, but community:
What's about a joint venture with an existing multimedia distro based on
Ubuntu, e.g. 64 Studio or openArtist or ...?

Perhaps you like to contact http://www.64studio.com/team. Dunno, if they
are interested, but as an onlooker this seems to make sense, while there
will be a new multimedia distro each month and all of them needs
maintainers.

*?*
Ralf

--
Bert from Sesame Street in Taxi Driver scene "You Talkin' Me?":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IXmHqPWxUw&feature=related