[LAD] announcing envy24control, mudita (*) edition.

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 19:35:43 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:
> So I say instead some descriptive tooltips would be very handy
>  for users, at least on the hardware settings tab, even if there
>  is a manual. But what about language translations? Is that
>  more or less automatic, or requires intervention?

As I mentioned in a different reply, I also think tooltips would be
helpful. However, before going off on that, there's issues w/ messages
in the app that should be fixed first -- e.g. using GNU 'gettext'
utilities for all messages and labels, and then adding tooltips to the
language catalog mechanism setup in:
/usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/*.mo ... but beyond that, there's some
more fundamental usability issues to fix first.

> You'd have a good advantage over other mixers there with real
>  descriptions.

I'd have a better advantage if I had the motivation to add tooltips or
a language catalog, which sounds very tedious to try and do by myself.
Of course, if someone else wants to work on it, I'd be happy to
investigate and integrate any patches coming my way. Right now I'd
want to focus on correcting existing problems and submitting that as a
patch to ALSA.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: Just learned of another ICE1712-based interface -- that isn't
recognized by Linux and that comes up with ADC/DAC's totally
unrecognized by snd-ice1712 -- and that fortunately causes the entire
"Analog Volume" panel to not show (as opposed to crashing), but
otherwise the new envy24control does allow mixer control of it...
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug02/articles/edirolda2496.asp (looks
nice the Roland/Edirol DA2496). Meanwhile, pictures show Fons using
the http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct99/articles/terratec.htm .
Keeping same A/D-D/A section, the follow-on offering
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr04/articles/terratecphase88.htm
........  leading me to conclude that of all the ice1712 interfaces,
the Delta 1010 has the best converters, using AK5383 versus AK4524
(Delta 44/66/1010lt & all terratec's from dmx6fire to phase88).