[LAD] a case for a knob control standard?

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Tue Nov 2 18:31:41 UTC 2010

On 11/02/2010 06:16 PM, hermann wrote:
>> When such an audio-gui standard and configuration is developed, I would love to
>> participate. And use it in my apps. I think its a good idea, especially the
>> idea of allowing the user to switch between circular and linear behaviour for
>> round controls. And have that changes affect all apps supporting this
>> "standard".
>>
> As far there is no such a standard and it seems it wouldn't come so fast. So I
> have add a menu option to gx_head (guitarix successor) were the user can select
> between radial or linear knob interaction. All is in a lib witch can be used
> static or shared. The switch work with a bool operator, and it will be easy to
> set it over getenv() for example.
>
> More difficult it will be to comes to a conclusion in the free developer world
> of how, why, if and would we really all use the same environment variable.
> If we, it makes now matter witch lib or not one use to create the knob, only
> the var needs to be read.

As the topic is coming back, attached is my Proposal for a versatile GTK+ knob
widget.

It isn't really a standard, it is more intended to be an inventory of things
that were mentioned in a couple of recent threads, and to serve as a
design/implementation plan for a real widget.

There are a few things that I wanted to improve before posting it here, but I'm
running out of time. Comments are welcome.

--
  Olivier