[LAD] Determining Phase

pshirkey at boosthardware.com pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jun 27 12:35:23 UTC 2011

> pshirkey at boosthardware.com wrote:
>
>> > - Absolute phase response *does* matter. It's quite
>> > easy to create e.g. a filter that has a perfectly flat
>> > amplitude response, modifies only the phase, and sounds
>> > as a e.g. a resonance or even a reverb. You won't hear
>> > the relatively harmless phase response of a tyipcal amp,
>> > but that doesn't mean you can't hear phase errors in
>> > general.
>> >

>> Does anyone have a code example for this type of filter?
>
> An IIR allpass filter where the unit delay is replaced
> with a much longer delay, ie tens, hundreds or even thousands
> of samples.

Would this result in some kind of reverb type effect as Fons suggested?

I'm looking for a way to adjust the phase of a signal rather than the
amplitude. Does such a plugin already exist? If not which ladspa plugin
would be the most suitable to start from?

I've looked at using parts of jamin and librubberband but there may be a
faster to implement option available.

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey