[LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

Filipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:23:40 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 07:10 PM, John Hammen wrote:
>> Then they should wait until their distro or someone else provides
>
> (...)
>
> the idea being: a person whose paid responsibility it is to make us
> LAUs happy with fresh new packages and, ideally also work with folks
> upstream on build sanity issues. Filipe, would you be willing to
> supervise such a person, feed them the less fun parts of what you do
> and check their work?

If the community is willing to pay for it, sure.
But I find that a bit hard to believe...

There's a difference on how KXStudio repositories are done vs regular
debian/ubuntu repos.
Debian and Ubuntu usually build against a specific version, and don't
usually do backports.
on KX repos I'm starting build all packages the same way (ie, the
generic linux builds), and update software very often (sometimes minutes
after release :D ).

I hate when distros only package new stuff for the their newest,
unreleased/testing/upcoming version and completely ignore the users
running stable versions... :(