[LAD] jackdbus log controls?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Nov 25 01:36:13 CET 2019

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019, Ethan Funk wrote:

> I am almost a week into testing my jack-audio application with no crashes of
> jackd or my application. Bug abound (in my code), but that is the point of
> testing. Fixing as I go. I am using Ubuntu Studio control to run jackd...
> actually jackdbus, which brings me to my question:
>
> How do I get control over jackdbus logging? I currently have an gigantic log file
> it is creating at ~/.log/jack/jackdbus.log from my testing.

Yes I have this concern too. jackdbus is controled by using jack_control
or dbus directly for which there is no documentation besides the source I
would guess. US_controls uses jack_control right now (which also has no
documentation) and by running jack_control with no parameters one gets a
list of commands some of which will tell you what some other commands
might be. None of them that I could find will set logging levels. The next
version of US_controls will use logrotate to help keep the log files from
getting too big. You may want to set up a cron job to do this for you
until that release. It would be possible to use jackd instead of jackdbus
but that would just mean the the US_controls log would start to grow
quicker instead because jackd logs to stdout and stderr.

So the answer is that while jackdbus seems to provide no way of doing
this, logroatate is already installed and gets run by cron once a day (I
think) by the system. However, because your log file is in userland you
would be better off running it from the user crontab with it's own config
file.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net