[LAD] [LAU] Release: New Session Manager Version 1.3

Filipe Coelho falktx at falktx.com
Thu Jun 18 12:34:09 CEST 2020

Hi

On 18/06/20 10:17, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> Quite a hijack...
>
> No credits to the original author in the release announcement, which
> is quite disrespectful. He did finally solve the session management
> problem on Linuxaudio with Non-Session-Manager after several attempts
> by some serious skilled programmers.

Fair point. We did mention that it is based on the NON stuff, but not
Jonathan's name. Sorry for that, it was not intentional.

The "highjack" had to be done though, otherwise NSM would simply go
nowhere. You even say yourself "I understand in some way that a fork is
a logical consequence".
We were very sad that the toxicity around one person was causing such
harm to such great tool.
In order to make NSM a real thing for linuxaudio (that is, not simply
used by a tiny few users and apps), we *need* to get the community involved.
To quote Jonathan himself:

 > Progress will not happen on its own. It must be forced along by
individuals of power, wisdom, and vision; which we should all aspire to
become.

> Release around midnight Europe time.
>
> Very classy guys.

Why is release time important there? (serious question)

We released after we had everything ready. And since we usually work on
these things past official work-hours, that meant late in the day.
I don't see how this changes anything, or tells anything about the
status of the project.

> Disappointing.

Might seem so from your point of you, but we tried, many many times to
get everyone to work together here.

After being treated like shit and being told to just "deal with it",
also seeing developers refusing to implement NSM precisely because of
this toxic situation, we just felt that we needed to do something about it.

NSM has been released for many years now (7 perhaps?) but still only a
tiny amount of standalone applications support it (and those that do,
sometimes do it in a broken way).
We want to change this, but there is no way this could happen if
NSM-related bugfixes get ignored, questions unanswered for years, and
developers shouted at for trying to fix things themselves.
I personally appreciate everything Jonathan has done so far for the NON
project, but he actively hurts it in the way he manages it.

In any case, one of the goals of new-session-manager is to be
backwards-compatible as much as possible.
So users with the original NON version will still benefit by the
(hopefully) growing amount of applications that will come to support it.

PS: do not take this personal please, it is not. and please do not
top-post, thanks