[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME Hammerfall DSP Cardbus+Multiface

D. Sen dsen at homemail.com
Thu Dec 19 12:03:01 EST 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:
> DS,
>    Hi. Being this is Linux, I presume there is no documentation other than
> the source code. I suspect you are, like me, not a programmer and thus have
> a hard time with understanding how to set this stuff up? I sure do!

Hey Mark,

I would like to think that my programming skills arent too bad :-). Even
so, I am inclined to look for a README.install of some sort before I
spend hours/days looking through someone else's source. I have been a
linux users for almost 10 years and just wrote a linux-driver for a
PCMCIA audio/DSP card from www.cac-dsp.com (their Bullet2/33 cards). I
learnt very quickly that a 40 line README.install file packaged with the
source would save me more time than to answer all the questions that
would invariably arise from someone trying to use my code.

>    In my case I am using jack, so I can control where the audio goes using
> qjackconnect. I have managed to send and receive through many of my 26 I/Os,
> but I have not tried all of them yet. If you can use jack (you might not)
> then this is pretty easy.

I havent tried out Jack. Havent had a need to so far....guess I will
have to start to make use of my $1000 investment...

>    amixer is a bit of a mystery. Try a couple of things, like
>
> amixer -h
> amixer scontrols
> amixer controls
>
> I am very unclear how to actually _use_ this tool.

The alsa-projects website has a few lines
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?company=RME&card=Hammerfall+DSP&chip=FPGA&module=hdsp)

hinting at the use of amixer....but its minimalistic :-)

DS

--