[linux-audio-user] Rebirth File Player

Nick Tsocanos nicktsocanos at charter.net
Tue Apr 22 01:53:01 EDT 2003

I am building a Rebirth file player/converter/sequencer.

I am awaiting a response from Propellerheads to get approval if I can
release a public *file player*. Their file format might be copyrighted,
and without permission I can't release it.

If Prophedz give me the thumbs up I will make it public (just the file
player/utils).

It's just simple command line utilities to play Rebirth files on Linux.
It will emulate the sounds, but not the look or feel or editing.
It will have the ability to export to MIDI files, output to WAV, create
Tekno Composer loops/patterns. It just won't let you edit or create new
files in the format. Or, if I can, you can edit new files, but you won't
have a GUI that looks like it. I will find out what Propellerheads say
and how far I can use the file format for a GPL program.

I still like Rebirth, and even though the sounds are old, it is still a
very useful file format and composition program. I made Tekno Composer
so I could at least get something of the way the sequencers worked. The
file format is something I am very interested in, as so many patterns
are available in the format, and it's a shame they can not be used by
any other program right now. There is no copyrights on a pattern I don't
think. That would be silly. That would be like saying I can copyright
the eight note symbol and everyone pays royalties for me to use it in
sheet music. Or copyright a scale and get royalties for anyone who uses
it in their music. I can't see how a pattern out of context can be
copyrighted, but most likely some loophole in the law allows it.

If Propellerheads inform me the file format is not copyrighted I will
work on it as far as I am allowed to. I can't imagine why else they
would release the file format specification. I am also unsure why no one
has at least made a file conversion utility either. I know people have
built emulators (really good ones) but violated copyrights. I missed out
on getting the programs before they were closed down.

I'm not sure how much Rebirth is used these days. I still used it a lot.
It was missing many features I felt were needed It's a very very simple
system for making rhythyms and bass lines with, and so many people have
tried to copy it but it seems almost all of them never got released or
are no longer available. I have tons of work in Rebirth format, so I
need the conversion utilities, but I would like to make them public. It
would also be fun to build a program that can play them back and listen
to them on Linux.