[linux-audio-user] Recommendatio wanted

Joerg Anders j.anders at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Dec 2 02:31:01 EST 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:

> With wavetable synthesis...

... and that's the only thing I'm talking about ...

> I did now finally see 2 or 3 dropped notes with pmidi.

This seems to be a small problem to you, but ...

> The 8mbgmsfx.sf2 soundfont supplied by Creative Labs was worse
> than a 4 MB Steinway piano-only soundfont file.  The Steinway soundfont
> VERY RARELY dropped any notes...

... it does not occur as rarely as you might think. Bear
in mind: The ALSA developrs asked for a "good" example. Thus,
I offer a 2-staff example because I euqate "good" and "simple".(?)
The situation dramatically changes if you play a whole
orchestra.  I supply about 10 examples with my musical
score editor NoteEdit

(http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html)

It is practiaclly impossible to play these examples without
dropping notes. Especially if the drum or percussion fails
this is very angry. It happens also if I use the FluidR3
font. And - to make this clear - independend of whether
I play with NoteEdit or the exported MIDI files with
any arbitary MIDI player and/or sequencer or whatever
you have in mind, as long as these MIDI player/sequencer
uses the hardware wavetable synthesis.

And more important: It never occurs with AWE64 independend
of the soundfond and/or the MIDI player and/or sequencer.

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (ja at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)