[linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Fri Dec 5 21:41:11 EST 2003

LinuxMedia wrote:
> Yea, unfortunalty, People who understand computers don't always realize
> that the "average" Person understands *nothing* about computers *other*
> Please don't think I'm putting anyone down (this community is great!!!).
> But in all the years of learning computer related stuff, I can recall
> the term "it's easy" so many times and came to realize that it means

   yeah, it's easy == might be possible :-) I don't think anybody uses
these words (talking about computers) without a big grin

   all in all you're right but it takes a _huge_ amount of work to get
from working system (i.e. I wrote it/set it up etc. and it's usable for
me) to publishable something (program, os, ...). So it takes a long time
to get generally usable stuff - look how long it took from X and
troubled modelines to knoppix. Audio world is unfortunately somewhat
behind so things are not yet trouble free. The good part is that there's
  quite a lot of development going on and the support for audio (alsa,
programs) _is_ progressing.

	erik