[linux-audio-user] vkeybd [was: Rhodes sound]

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Jan 22 07:02:00 EST 2003

> > I have added it to the timidity config file and now I get a detuned
> > rhodes in the vkeybd patch selector. Is that the same one? I have no
> > idea whether vkeybd is reading from the timidity patch set or not.

You need to use the program sftovkb to generate a patch list for vkeybd.

Try this in the root of your home directory, eg /home/emillo/

sftovkb rhodes.sf2 > vkeybd.list

You should now see the correct presets if you restart vkeybd. Vketbd is an
amazing program in the best tradition - simple to use, yet does exactly what
you need.

>   Now I send it to Matthew or Alexandre, in the hope that they put it in
>   some web site for public access.

I'll give the soundfont a go - thanks. As for the licence, be careful. Perhaps
the readme should make clear that the copyright holder who has released this
soundfont is only claiming copyright on the recording, not the creation of
the sound. You can't release something under the GPL if it actually belongs
to someone else who isn't happy to do so. By asserting copyright on the
recording, you are saying that it isn't simply a copy of someone else's
Rhodes soundfont.

I bet there is a company somewhere which claims to own the Rhodes sound as
'intellectual property', independent of your friend's sampling of it. It's
such a well known sound, and I bet there are proprietary soundfonts based on
it.

Cheers

Daniel