[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 07:15:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:36:14AM -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:

> Wow. They do this using that unsheilded wire on a ribbon cable that goes from
> the CD rom drive to the sound card? I never bothered connecting the two on
> any of my PCs,  because if I wanted to play audio CD's, I certainly would
> want to do it on my seperate stereo system, and not from a noisy PC.

The audio levels from the CD will be reasonably high,
the source impedance will be quite low, and though you mention
unshielded cable I think shielded cable is more usual for this job.

If you have a pair of speakers hooked up to your sound card and no other
sound system in the room, and want to play "music while you work" this
is a convenient and acceptable solution. This applies to many PC users
in the world.

If you want to take the audio off a CD to store in the computer, process,
edit and copy to another CD or other digital media with the best sound
quality, possibly for semi=-professional purposes - no, it's not the best
way.

In answer to your last question: no - I've never done it that way!

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk