[linux-audio-user] Cactus Data Shield copy controlled cd's

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Fri Jul 4 10:48:00 EDT 2003

Hi Larry,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 04:36:14AM -0400, Larry Troxler wrote:
> On Thursday 03 July 2003 22:43, Ryan Underwood wrote:
> > Programs like cdparanoia and EAC operate as digital rippers, using the
> > cdrom's built in mechanisms to extract the audio data directly.  There
> > are other programs however (such as cdsound-recorder) that will play the
> > disc through your CD drive's built in DAC, and record the sound through
> > your soundcards ADC input.  Or, you can use a standalone CD player for
> > the same effect.
>
> Wow. They do this using that unsheilded wire on a ribbon cable that goes from
> the CD rom drive to the sound card? I never bothered connecting the two on
> any of my PCs,  because if I wanted to play audio CD's, I certainly would
> want to do it on my seperate stereo system, and not from a noisy PC.
>
> Has anyone on this list actually made serious use of a CD-rom to soundcard
> analog connection? The idea sounds stupid to me, but maybe the noise issue
> isn't nearly as bad as I think it would be.

I have done it before, and it really isn't that big a deal.  Obviously
the quality depends on your cdrom's dac as well as the quality of the
cable, noisiness of the environment, soundcard quality, etc, but at
least on my system I was able to get quite acceptable results.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253