[linux-audio-user] YMFPCI hardware midi/snd-mp401-uart

BartonBosch at aol.com BartonBosch at aol.com
Thu Sep 4 04:42:02 EDT 2003

In a message dated 8/31/03 10:17:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guy.clotilde at wanadoo.fr writes:

> The raw device is for externa synth, I believe.
> As far as a sequencer goes, it's far better to use a softsynth than the
> legacy card synth. With a softsynth, you will have far better sounds, see for
> example timidity and the eawpats sound with your distro.
> Wuen timidity is installed and launched (timidity -iA) you will find it in
> this MusE box.

I wanted to use the wavetable synth, even if it was of lower sound quality,
as a tool to listen to work in progress so as to reduce the load on the
processor.  I have been having some problems with crackling noises which I assume are
caused by MusE and or the softsynth overloading the processor when playing
back a multitrack midi file.

Today I did some experimenting with TiMidity as the softsynth for MusE --  I
got it configured with timidity -iA in one terminal and muse -R in another.
Then in the midiport configuration it popped up with timidity port 0 for the
first midi port.  Unfortunately this produced no sounds on testing.  I opened
the track info number and tried to select a preset, but all that it had was
"???" -- no patches to select from.

Is there another switch that needs to be thrown to load sounds into TiMidity?
 Something else?

I am running the Planet CCRMA acpi kernel, RH 8.0, with TiMidity++
2.11.3-4.1, TiMidity midia instruments 2.11.3-4.1, and eawpats 12-1 installed.

Thanks,

Barton