[linux-audio-user] Filesystem: Ardour / SWD / Laptop

Austin aacton at yorku.ca
Sun Sep 28 20:51:01 EDT 2003

On 09/28/2003 12:13:26 PM, glimt wrote:
> Laptops go into suspend mode, come out of suspend mode, support suspend to
> disk, etc.  Most of the bugs I have seen mentioned revolve around this
> area.  Also, laptops tend to run out of power and just go thunk (if no
> power management is configured) than desktops do.

You're right.  I rarely use battery power on my laptop, so I didn't think of
that.

> How does ReiserFS perform for multimedia work?  OK, or do I really
> absolutely need to use XFS?

As I said previously, both reiser and xfs noticeably outperform etx3 for
multimedia apps.  They seem about the same except for serious video editing,
where xfs reigns supreme.  Like I said, for audio, the most important thing is
to speed up /tmp... ext REALLY sucks for /tmp.

Austin
--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate