[linux-audio-user] pd vs. supercollider

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Wed Apr 21 09:52:24 EDT 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>As SC3 to my knowledge doesn't have a GUI in the Linux version, you
>either will have to live without one or use something else as GUI, for
>example Pd, which can control SC over OSC. See Kjetil's SC-objects for
>Pd.

As Michael pointed out, SC3/Linux certainly does have GUI objects.
Stefan Kersten has been handling that part of the port, and his work is
coming along nicely. I've been adapting some of the numerous examples
from the SC docs, some things have worked out pretty well. Bear in mind
that Stefan refers to the GUI components as alpha-stage software at the
present time.

>Generally I'd say, that Pd and Supercollider are so different, that
>they cannot sensibly be compared. SC is a text based synthesis
>language that will be much better at certain things than Pd, whereas
>Pd offers a very hands-on approach to building software instruments
>and more (and has many third-party modules for graphics and the like).

I would also add that SC3 (by virtue of its language-orientation?) is
maybe better at more deterministic music composition. I'd suggest that
Pd is perhaps better at synthesis, thanks to its collection of ugens,
but I've yet to explore the more than 250 (!) ugens of SC3. IMO, SC3 is
just waiting for Linux audio people to find it. If Stefan's GUI parts
keep improving we'll soon have a very respectable SC3 for Linux.

Docs for both SC3 and Pd are most admirable.

>Still, learning more about SC3 is on my TODO-list as well. Let's start
>on LAConf2, shall we? ;)

Stefan will be giving a presentation there on SC3 for Linux. See you
then !  :)

Btw, I recently learned that the author of the Q programming language
has entered the "Let's write an interface for SC3" contest. His q-synth
(not the same item as Qsynth) is another language interface for SC3, but
I've had no time to check it out. I've also not tried using Pd to
control SC3, and I'd love to see an example patch demonstrating how it
could be done.

Gruss,

dp