[linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Rick Henry rhenry at ac-technologies.com
Sat Aug 7 15:02:09 EDT 2004

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:45:38 -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote
> I'm bummed at another level...A decent midi GM soft synth is about
> the only real thing keeping me from going Linux only with my live audio
> stuff.

A bit off-topic, but there IS/ARE decent GM softsynths out there, albeit
commercial, provided you use something like fluidsynth/QSynth.  Both EMU and
Sonic Implants sell GM sounfont sets that are quite useable.  And both
companies sell other sets that are not GM compatible, but are very useable in
their context.  I've used and still use soundfonts from both these companies
in QSynth, and am able to get quite a bit accomplished.  Load multiple
fluid/qsynth instances and that's just that many more sounds available to you.

If you're looking for free, though, there are still a couple of GM sets (fluid
and PC51f come to mind, although I've never tried fluid) that people have had
good luck with.

R.
==