[linux-audio-user] VST_SERVER and Edirol Hypercanvas?

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sat Aug 7 18:06:17 EDT 2004

Russell Hanaghan wrote:

>So I have spent about 6 hours on this collectively and to no real
>result. I did manage to compile fst 1.6 and Jack_fst 1.2. The
>./mkdirectories file or whatever it was is missing. I copied it from my
>/user/share/Automake 1.4 directory and it installed just fine...

The missing tool is called mkinstalldirs. I've already notified the
developers, but it seems you figured out the fix anyway. :)

>So I have compiled these against Wine 20040615, Wine 20040213. Don't get
>anything more than "Cannot load plugin HyperCanvas".

This stuff is like chaos in action, i.e., it's critically dependent on
initial conditions. I'll try compiling and using those versions of WINE,
but you might consider using the version I use (20031118). I got it from
Kjetil's site at http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/, it's the badly named
file vstserver-wine-tar.bz2.  Be sure to rename it to
vstserver-wine.tar.bz2, then unzip it (you'll need bunzip2), untar it
(tar xvf), then enter the new wine and follow the directions in the README.

Also, please give me some more detail about how you're launching the plugin.

>I give...for now!  THis blasted Wine and vst thing does this to me each
>time! ;(
>
>A really detailed step by step would be a good thing on this. The quick
>toot is good Dave...don't get me wrong...but from the "ignoramous"
>perspective, there seems to be a LOT of other stuff missing. If it works
>on one box, in theory at least, it should work on another...

The problem is that in fact nothing is missing. As I said, this stuff is
extremely dependent upon WINE, which is itself one of the most volatile
development projects for Linux. It's not at all uncommon for a new
version of WINE to break support for things that worked previously, so
I'm not usually rushing to try the latest & greatest. I use what works
for Kjetil: if he can get the vstserver working with his recommended
version, then that's the version I use.

Also, did you install the devel packages for WINE ? Make sure that your
wine binary and its development package are the same version.

>I'm bummed at another level...A decent midi GM soft synth is about the
>only real thing keeping me from going Linux only with my live audio
>stuff.

Have you used fluidsynth with one of its GUIs ? I use the FluidR3
soundfont from Hammersound, it works pretty well for my purposes.

Best regards,

dp