[linux-audio-user] Recommendations for audio software needed

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Jan 8 19:29:38 EST 2004

Conrad,

Conrad Newton wrote:
> Is it [Rezound] in the same category as audacity (a competitor), or do the two
> complement each other?  What kind of program is rezound?

Similar to Audacity, but with slightly different features and a much
more impressive GUI. Rezound looks and feels very much like Sound Forge
or the sample-editor part of Cool Edit. This makes it a bit more
familiar to windoze users. I like it better than Audacity because it has
  more advanced editing features, and especially because you can scrub
through tracks as if it were a tape-player, and also zoom in to the
sample level.

Downsides of Rezound, however are:
*dubious Jack support [doesn't sound like an issue to you...]
*slightly buggy disk-streaming capabilties which sometimes result in
small audio dropouts... these can manifest themselves during long tracks
when recording to disk, playback or [suprisingly] doing format
conversions [wav to mp3 etc].

Generally, I use Ardour for long takes, and Rezound for chopping up
little pieces of things.

Ian Duncan wrote:
> Multiplatform is nice because your students may then
> want to experiment at home, but be not quite ready for linux yet.

This isn't so much of an issue if you have a live CD. This gives them
all the time in the world in the safety of their own flats to experiment
in Linux without commitment.

Conrad Newton wrote:
> they [Dynebolic] are much less space-constrained than I am, and therefore do
> not have to make the same difficult choices.

What kind of space limitations are you dealing with? A 3" CDR? Just
curious why everything has to be so squeezed when the apps themselves
are so small anyways...

best,
D.

--