[linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 16:52:26 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 12:19, Miha Tomsic wrote:

> I am planing on getting Acer Travelmate 803Lci which uses the O2 Micro
> CardBus controller.
>
> -----------
> 02:06.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc.: Unknown device 7114 (rev 20)
> 02:06.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc.: Unknown device 7114 (rev 20)
> -----------
>
> This is a snippet from lspci output from 803Lci I found on the net
> (different sites have very similar outputs).
>
> It looks that O2 Micro controllers in general add quite some latency and
> should be avoided for professional audio as RME and Derek have pointed
> out.

Humm....I have not seen those comments. If RME has designed the Cardbus
solution then I think it must work well with some cardbus controllers,
correct? I am looking on the RME sire now but do not see any specific
statements about O2 Micro cardbus controllers being bad. It's not udner
their 'Hardware Alert' page. Where are you finding this? Please post a
link.

> But are all O2 Micro controllers equally "bad"? Do we have any coment
> from your frined or any other user of Acer?

To the contrary, everything I know about O2 Micro controllers is that
they are making a good product. I have not searched the web for contrary
information. Please post links to interesting discussions about their
controllers. I'm sure my friend would like to know about these as he
takes his work quite seriously.

> The device found in 803Lci should be O2 MICRO Inc. OZ711M1 according to
> the document http://www.tssc.de/download/docs/listofsupporteddevices.htm
> (cached by google).

I can look for a spec.