[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden-4 or Muse or...

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Thu Jan 15 02:43:30 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 00.14, Rocco wrote:
> >>This only audio *and* midi program I used was muse. The midi part of the
> >>program is wonderful and even has "built-in" softsynths. I've never had
> >>success with the "live" (audio) recording capabilities.
> >
> > I'm sure you have said what the problem was earlier but I'd be happy for
> > a refresh of memory. Getting old, my memory isn't what it used to be ;)
>
>  From what I remember, recording was really "noisy". There was static
> sounds. I also couldn't get a good volume level no matter what I did.
> And this next thing isn't (as) important, but it just seemed very
> (un)intuitive. I can't remember how I recorded audio. It just (all
> around) didn't seem to work very well.

There are some extra mouse-clicks that probably should be automated. MusE has
some usability issues, but once you understand the quirks it is very easy to
use. Suggestions for how to improve usability are kindly accepted.

About the noisyness I have no idea what might have caused it, I don't have any
problems with it. The levels of the recorded material seems ok for me anyway,
but I might be fooling myself, I'll try to check.

> I just figured out how to create WAV's with ecasound (and use a preset
> that plays a metronome track while you record) and then import the WAV
> file into Muse. The WAV file that was created in ecasound synced up with
> Muse's metronome *perfectly* (I know becaue I recorded ecasound's
> metronome to a WAV file and played it along with the metronome in Muse).
> The "beeps" on the WAV file ran in *perfect* sync with Muse's metronome
> for 4 minutes!!! It didn't slip for a second. I then recorded a guitar
> and vocal track in ecasound (using ecasound's metronome as a timing
> guide) then imported them into muse and it ran in perfect sync with
> Muse's metronome.
>
> I have a bunch of linux/audio projects like this one going at the time.
> I (almost) posted the step-by-step approach I used, but I ran out of
> time tonight and have to get back to it tomarrow. Besides, it wasn't
> complete anyways.
>
> >>And the newest
> >>version just wouldn't compile on my computer.
> >
> > Do you know what the error is/was ?
>
> Man... I'm so confused. It seems to me that I *did* have it
> running. Because I remember being affected by the qt3 bug
> (WAV files would play thru once and not play again).

The qt-bug might also affect muse0.6.2 it might have been that version you
had compiled.

> So I must
> have had it installed at some point. Because the version that
> came with SuSE 9.0 (Professional) doesn't have that bug
> (version 0.6.1).

Built against qt3.1 I suppose?

> So I must have had the latest version installed
> at some point. I ended up intalled SuSE's version of muse. And
> I'm glad I did because of the "work-around" that I mentioned
> (in the above message).
>
> While were on the subject... I'm courious why none of the built in
> synths in muse allow for panning? I mean, each soft synth can be panned
> with the mixer. But *no* individual instruments on *any* of the
> softsynths can be panned seperatly. It's a shame because the built-in
> synth called "Fluid" (not "FluidSynth"... just "Fluid") sounds a lot
> better than FluidSynth *or* timidity. I'd really like to use "Fluid" but
> just can't see not being able to have control over each instruments
> volume and planning. I even started up Muse and connected SoundFontCombi
> (SoftSynth mixer) up to "Fluid" and had no control over the panning of
> instruments.

Well, I beg to differ about Fluid sounding better than the others, in my ears
it's just noisier and less accurate... though that might add to the
experience ;).

About panning, can't you do that from the midi-track?(can't check right now) I
might be wrong, in case it's a good idea and should be added.

/Robert