[linux-audio-user] Rosegarden-4 or Muse or...

Mathias Lundgren mathias_lundgren at bredband.net
Thu Jan 15 13:18:23 EST 2004

torsdagen den 15 januari 2004 00.14 skrev Rocco:
-SNIP-
> Man... I'm so confused. It seems to me that I *did* have it
> running. Because I remember being affected by the qt3 bug
> (WAV files would play thru once and not play again). So I must
> have had it installed at some point. Because the version that
> came with SuSE 9.0 (Professional) doesn't have that bug
> (version 0.6.1). So I must have had the latest version installed
> at some point. I ended up intalled SuSE's version of muse. And
> I'm glad I did because of the "work-around" that I mentioned
> (in the above message).
>
> While were on the subject... I'm courious why none of the built in
> synths in muse allow for panning? I mean, each soft synth can be panned
> with the mixer. But *no* individual instruments on *any* of the
> softsynths can be panned seperatly. It's a shame because the built-in
> synth called "Fluid" (not "FluidSynth"... just "Fluid") sounds a lot
> better than FluidSynth *or* timidity. I'd really like to use "Fluid" but
> just can't see not being able to have control over each instruments
> volume and planning. I even started up Muse and connected SoundFontCombi
> (SoftSynth mixer) up to "Fluid" and had no control over the panning of
> instruments.

Hmmm, I wonder what version you were using. The 'Fluid' softsynth doesn't
handle panning nor any regular controllers at all IIRC (I wonder if it did
handle NRPN/RPN:s, perhaps I'm mistaken, there was something strange with
that).

The 'Fluidsynth' softsynth does handle regular controllers like pan/reverb etc
(I added the handling myself and have tested it), but that's from 0.6.2 and
forward. Fluidsynth in 0.6.1 doesn't do much at all IIRC (at least not when
using jack). And yes, you actually can pan inidividual channels.

It's actually possible to load several soundfonts in one fluidsynth-instance
(then assign different soundfonts to different channels). Of course there are
things in 'Fluidsynth' that aren't possible to do yet, f.ex. it doesn't
handle loading of drum-patches correctly, but it'll be there in the future.
'Fluid' and 'Fluidsynth' are both graphical frontends that feed midi data
through fluidsynth, and it would be neat if they could actually use all the
features fluidsynth has (which is the plan).

/Mathias