[linux-audio-user] New to the list & Linux

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 13:10:11 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:36:28AM -0600, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> 1) Are there Linux equivalents to Reason, Sonar,
> FruityLoops, Cubase, ProTools, etc.?  Really?

no, dunno, no, yes, yes. mostly :)

Ardour is a good DAW app in the style of protools, still has a few rough
edges but definatly usable: http://ardour.sourceforge.net/

Rosegarden and Muse do MIDI type stuff, but I've not used them.

> 2) Is anyone using dual processors (maybe PIII 500
> Mhz) successfully?

Yes, they are well supported, but 500MHz will limit how much stuff you can
do.

I recommend you try RedHat / Fedora + Planet CCRMA
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ which makes installing
linux audio software easy. But if your familar with another distro you
might want to look at packages based on that.

- Steve