[linux-audio-user] New to the list & Linux

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jan 20 13:06:09 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:36:28AM -0600, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> Hello list members!
>
> I'm new to this list and relatively new to Linux.
>  I discovered the power of Linux about 2 years
> ago and began switching my school district over to
> it (still migrating).  I use only Linux for my
> servers (web/email/proxy/file/backup/etc.).  I've
> setup two classroom labs using Linux as the
> desktop.  I'd like to look at using Linux in the
> music lab (not yet created).  So I found this
> mailing list.
>
> I'm a keyboardist and MIDI user (since Cakewalk
> first came out).  I want to create a DAW (for my
> home use as well as for school).  I need it to do
> MIDI and samples and record audio.  I'm trying to
> get a Delta 66 with Omni breakout box for the
> soundcard, and maybe a Soundblaster Live (w EMU10K
> chip) for the soundfonts.
>
> My questions to the list...
>
> 1) Are there Linux equivalents

By "equivalent" I assume you mean
"an application X on linux that has integrated all the major
features of application Y on windows."
For various historical, cultural, and practical reasons,
this tends not to be the way that linux audio developers work.

> to Reason,

not in one app.

for equivalent functionality:
You could build your own with PD!
Or you can run hydrogen, seq24, jack-rack, and any number of
soft synths at the same time. It's fun  - except for restoring
sessions later which you have to do largely by hand or with
shell scripts, a major pain in the butt.
This is an issue that will hopefully improve as more developers
adopt LADCCA.

> Sonar,

not in one app.

ardour + rosegarden4 / muse / seq24 + jack rack +
various soft synths.  Same session management problem as above.

> FruityLoops,

no.

> Cubase

maybe. try Muse and Rosegarden4.

> ProTools

You should really check out the latest Ardour beta.

> 2) Is anyone using dual processors (maybe PIII 500
> Mhz) successfully?

not me, but several of us are.

--

Paul Winkler