[linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Russell Hanaghan hanaghan at starband.net
Thu Jul 29 22:03:55 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 15:26, Dave Robillard wrote:
> Hello LAU,
>
> I'm designing a modular synth engine, and would like to get some input
> on desired features/abilities to make sure it's designed in a way that
> will make it the most flexible.
>
> So, what features are important to you in a synth?  What annoys you
> about the current crop of linux synths?
>
> Already planned (* = working right now):
>
> * Low latency realtime operation via Jack
> * 100% LADSPA plugins, not Yet Another Internal Plugin Format
> - (DSSI and perhaps VST are being considered)
> * Seperate engine and frontend(s), ALL communication via OSC (Open Sound
> Control)
>
> The main GUI will be a modular a lot like AMS/SSM/etc. but there's no
> reason it has to be, the engine can be used from the command line, in
> programs/scripts (from any language that can talk OSC), hardcoded in
> custom synths, etc. etc.  This will allow, for example, algorithmic
> composition in C without the limitations of MIDI and discrete notes.
> The use of OSC means you can run the engine transparently over the
> network (on 20 machines if you so please..)
>
> - Polyphonic, runtime selectable (in the works right now)
> - Multitimbral
> * ALSA MIDI in will be through a seperate application, which will allow
> binding of any MIDI controller to any param in the synth
> - Sending OSC messages from module ports
> * Sample accurate everything
>
> - The main modular frontend will support LASH (formerly LADCCA), and
> allow building of control panels ala galan
>
> I'm very open to suggestions, that's why I started this thread.. let's
> hear 'em
>
> Cheers,

Not what most "synthesizer" enthusiasts consider a "modular synth" but
if I see a REAL need out there it would be to create a module that has a
GM instrument wavetable with at least one drum set and the typical 128
midi instruments. FLuid synth is alright I guess if you like
soundfonts...  I mean something modeled on the likes of Edirol Hyper
Canvas or Roland Virtual Sound canvas, Wingroove or Yamaha's SY-XG
virtual softsynth.

R~