[linux-audio-user] Can't have second port on Midisport 2x2 USB

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Mar 17 13:08:28 EST 2004

Mirouf Linux wrote:
> I've got a Midisport 2x2 USB, which run with
> EZbusmidi.
> I've got few configuration problems:
>
> - With AlSA, i have to plug the interface after RedHat
> had been launch, otherwise ALSA intervert the number
> of my cards:

The USB host driver get initialized, and loads all USB device drivers,
before ALSA is initialized.

Put the line:

snd-usb-audio

into the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file to prevent this.

> - With ardour, I set up my ardour.rc file like that:
> Midi-port tag "Midisport" device=/dev/snd/midiC1d0 ...
>
> It works, i've got MTC on port A, but i can't find the
> device for port B. I tried midiC1D1, MidiC2D0 : it
> doesn't work.

Both ports are available under this file, but this is an internal file
that should be accessed by the ALSA library only.

You should configure your program to use ALSA MIDI ports named
"hw:1,0,0" and "hw:1,0,1".  If your program doesn't support this, load
the snd-virmidi driver, connect its ports to the 2x2's ports (with
aconnect or kaconnect), and use the virtual ports in Ardour.  (If
loaded as card #2, the files for these will be /dev/midi02 and
/dev/amidi02.)

HTH
Clemens