[linux-audio-user] wav to mp3 converter

Jos Laake jos at radiks.net
Sun May 30 16:11:55 EDT 2004

Re: mp3 vs. ogg...

Several people have written suggesting I use ogg Vorbis
instead of mp3.  I really do get that.  I'm not into the
whole 'bleed-em-dry-with-a-proprietary-format' routine.
And it is my intention to move toward making my recordings
available in .ogg format as well.  And!  This little command
line from Jan Depner is *GREAT*! :

 > find . -name "*.wav" -print -exec oggenc -q 5 {} \;

It does exactly the trick I need for making .ogg files out
of my wav's.  Perfect!  for ogg...

But I still gotta make mp3's.  Why?  Because I know who I'm
dealing with. ;-)  Most of the people I'm working with are
not all that tech savvy and I know that if given a choice
between playing an mp3 and download/configuring some new
piece of software, they'll either play the mp3 or not at all.
These are my siblings, folks.  I really *know* them.  Even if
installation is truly easy, they're not gonna do it.  But I
want their musical involvement and the .wav files are just
too big, so mp3's it is.  For now.  Eventually they'll upgrade
when their old 'puterz die or they get too bloated and full
of worms and viruses, and maybe then they'll have something
that plays .ogg files.  But until then, I have no intention
of wasting my energy trying to get anyone else to change the
way they do things.  (We're quite a stubborn lot. ;-) )

So, I still gotta do the same trick as above somehow for the
mp3's.  a couple folks have sent me scripts.  cool.  I'll
hack through them.  But maybe also somebody could explain to
me what the above magic command line is doing so I can
subvert it to my own evil purposes. ;-)

In the meantime, I've incorporated 'Jan's Magic Line' into
my script and voila!  I have a bunch of little oggies on
my web site.

By the way, if anyone is interested in hearing my stuff, or
collaborating musically, I'd be willing to talk about that.
Everything is all cheapo demos so far.  The recordings are
noisy and my voice sounds whinier than I'd like but hey, at
least I'm not shy. ;-)  and now I have all these new Linux
music workstation tools to do *good* recordings with. :-)
My site is here:

http://www.josmusic.com/

The link to the dailies is at the bottom of the front page.

Toodles!
~Jos~