[linux-audio-user] HELP! trying to get midi port working under knoppix!

airplays55 at yahoo.com airplays55 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 23:45:36 EST 2004

I'm trying to get a sequencer like rosegarden working
under knoppix 3.4 (a debian flavor linux live CD
distro). I am unable to get a midiport like
/dev/sequencer to work.

Although knoppix uses OSS by default, with a cheatcode
I am able to boot up using the ALSA driver. But
rosegarden (or playmidi) still complains that
/dev/sequencer doesnt exist.

How can I check if the required ALSA driver/libraries
are present?  With my current hardddisk install I can
install missing libraries (unlike the standard
liveCD).

I'd like to get the external mpu401 midiport working,
 and also access the onboard FM sounds if possible. I
have ALS100 and ESS1869 ISA soundcards and a yamaha
PCI soundcard.

Here is my system info:
   "lsmod" shows uart401, sound, and soundcore

   cat /dev/sndstat displays nothing.

   /etc/modules.conf doesnt seem to have anything
 relevant (grep didnt find midi or sound anywhere)

   What is the next step to enable my midiport? I can
 promptly post back any requested info. Thanks!