[linux-audio-user] audiophile 2496 with Fedora Core 3

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Apr 19 14:03:26 EDT 2005

Michael Mossey wrote:

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> I can't get sound to come out of it, though.  It works in Windows.  Then I
> boot in linux, aplay a sound file, run alsamixer and fiddle with the
> controls waiting to hear sound.  Haven't yet heard sound.  Part of the
> problem is that I don't understand the alsamixer controls--I don't know
> how to route the "main sound channel" to the "analog outputs" nor how to
> set its volume.
>
> I'm thinking of installing PlanetCCRMA which will probably have much
> better mixers.
>
> Can someone tell me how to set alsamixer in a basic way, anyway?

If I recall, by default everything in alsamixer is set to 0 (including
levels), so you'll need to turn up at least the PCM out channels to hear
sound.

As a 2496 user also (on an HP Pavilion also), I don't even bother with
alsamixer and use the envy24control tool instead, which lets you
directly control the hardware the way you can in Windows (using the
hardware monitor & digital mixer, as well as some of the routing
features and other options you can set on the hardware).

I do recommend, if you are relatively new to Linux and Linux audio, to
install one of the pre-packaged multimedia distros like PlanetCCRMA or
Agnula/Demudi -- they'll make your life a lot easier.