[linux-audio-user] [admin] announce-list policy rationale

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Jan 9 10:47:42 EST 2005

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 13:58 +0200, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
>
>> when linux-audio-announce was created, it was agreed that
>> announcements should be crossposted to all three lists. The
>> reasoning was that this way people wouldn't have to subcsribe to
>> LAA if they were already on LAD+LAU.
>>
>> Now when you look at LAA archives, some people post only to LAA,
>> some (like me) to all three lists, and some to either LAA+LAD or
>> LAA+LAU.
>

> I didn't even knew that LAA existed. :-/
>
> Perhaps Mailman should be configured so that it adds a footer to each
>  message, containing basic stuff such as where to go to
> subscribe/unsubscribe, and where are the other related lists.
>
> Anyway, i think your proposal makes sense. Crosspostings are bad. Ok,
>  now let me subscribe real quick now to LAA...

sorry, i'm horribly behind LA mail :(

the original rationale of the cross-posting policy was as follows:

* linux-audio-announce should have no discussions at all to keep the
volume down (so that nobody would be discouraged from subscribing).

* announcements tend to spawn interesting discussions

* these discussions should be in some way related to the announcements,
for example by being in the same mail thread.

that's why announcers are encouraged to cc: lad and lau, so that
discussions can follow.

since some people choose not to do that, folks interested in seeing all
the announcements should probably subscribe to linux-audio-announce as
well.

best regards,

jörn