[linux-audio-user] Current info on low latency audio and linux

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Tue May 31 00:54:08 EDT 2005

Hello sweet, sweet list!

I am wondering what the state of low-latency high-performance
linux audio is?
I am running 2.6.10 on fedora core with gnome and a few other
processes (see post script for top | awk \'{ print $13 }\' output)
and the realtime module (modprobe realtime gid=mygid).
For performances I stop xscreensaver and cups.

I saw lots of emails about rlimits: is that some new
realtime-esque kernel option?

My hardware:
AMD64 3400+ laptop (early version xtremenotebooks raptor)
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 M10 graphics card (never really set up under linux)
HDSP Hammerfall w/ Multiface
Fedora Core 3T1
Jack 0.99.43 and qjackctl
Xorg
  Release Date: 18 December 2003
  X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7
  Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-14.ELsmp x86_64 [ELF]
  Current Operating System: Linux musicbox 2.6.10 #1 Thu Dec 30 21:12:01 MST 2004 x86_64
  Build Date: 02 July 2004
  Build Host: thor.perf.redhat.com
Mainly running PD (pure-data)

My questions are:
Best kernel
Best X (manager and/or settings)
Best graphics setup for ATI (if it affects audio performance)
Distro - a distro is just a starting point, right?
   A tweeked debian machine and a tweaked fedora machine each
   could each be made as fast as the other, no?
Is there a site that has the current state of high
   performance linux audio somewhere?

Thanks for the help, one and all!

top | awk \'{ print $13 }\'
gnome-terminal