Skype and LAU (Was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Skype + emu10k1)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 4 10:05:39 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 05:32, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>Hallo,
>
>Gene Heskett hat gesagt: // Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I tend to disagree with this,
>
>Good. Disagreement makes the world go round.
>
>> after all skype is another form of audio usage that linux can do.
>> Since I have in effect 2 audio cards, the one on the motherboard,
>> not having near as many bells and whistles as the audigy 2 value, is
>> isolated for use with skype, and all other system sounds are routed
>> to the audigy.  Someone on this list helped me achieve this, and
>> I'll be only too glad to help someone else in a similar endeavor.
>
>I think this is a slightly different issue. Getting two soundcards to
>run and play nice with different applications is a general linux audio
>question.

Agreed.

>I'm more targetting questions like: "Skype doesn't make any sound,
>what can I do?" The only answer we can give is: "Does aplay work? Yes?
>Then you may contact the upstream authors of Skype, and tell them to
>fix their bugs or better yet use a free software to deliver your free
>speech through the net."
>
>Ciao

Well, for a fact I have NDI if aplay works here or not, never tried it.
Does it do anything special that xmms or mplayer, tvtime, or skype
can't do?

As for contacting skype's authors, I assume its in the help menu.  Never
felt the need to other than haveing to use skype_dsp_hijacker to run
it.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: