[linux-audio-user] favorite window Manager for making music?

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil at ccrma.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 19 16:13:02 EST 2006

Brian Dunn:
>So you guys helped me pick a distro, and i'm pretty
>happy with it.  Lets here the verdicts, what window
>manager? Gnome 2.12 is what i've been using, but it
>isn't the most stable.  Sometimes i can't logout and i
>have to switch to a vt and kill it. The absence of
>easily configurable menus has me sticking all my music
>apps in a "drawer," where those without icons apear as
>big feet that must be mouse-overed until i get
>tool-tipped to even know that program it is.  I could
>work around/live with it but then i resized one day
>with <ctrl>+<alt>+- to read some fine print and all o'
>the sudden the horizontal refresh was busted like an
>old television.  the whole screen was cycling to the
>left at a dizying pace and my muse cursor disapeared.
>Even after killing X and restarting this nonsence was
>still going on and i hate having to reboot my machine.
> So now i'm playing with e16... before i invest in
>realy figuring out how to use it, what do any of you
>using a jack studio setup with like MusE and Ardor and
>the like prefer?

I have used fvwm the last 10 years and has always been
very satisfied. For about a year, though, I used
gnome/sawfish, because I was able to configure it like
I want, but later gnome became less configurable, and
I went back to fvwm, and I don't see any reason to change.

Sometimes, though, I need the gnome-menues to find some certain
program. So I have configured fvwm to pop up the
gnome-menues when I press Alt+F1. I could also just
run the program "gnome-panel", which does the same thing.

I agree though, fvwm is ugly. But you get used to it. :-)
(And its completely configurable anyway, so it can be changed
to look like whatever.)