[linux-audio-user] keeping alsa stable

Ismael Valladolid Torres ivalladt at punkass.com
Thu Jan 5 04:11:00 EST 2006

Laura Conrad escribe:
> What I do instead is I have a script that runs "apt-get update", and
> then "apt-get install" for a list of things that I want to keep
> up-to-date on.  Which does actually include alsa in my case, since I'm
> having problems that i hope someone might fix some day.

It must be kept in mind that the only reason there should be for
running sid should be helping Debian developers and not day to day
usage. If wanting to have updated software it looks far more suitable
pinning to stable or testing tracking a limited number of packages
from unstable.

Another chance, the best from a stability point of view, is sticking
to stable and backporting packages when a newer version is
needed. I've running woody for years with some backports from sarge
for important software I wanted to have updated and few things ever
broke.

Some links below I hope useful:

http://backports.org/
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html
http://www.argon.org/~roderick/apt-pinning.html

The best about Debian is that you can have exactly the flavour you
want. :)

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange