[linux-audio-user] keeping alsa stable

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 19:52:27 EST 2006

Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

> It must be kept in mind that the only reason there should be for
> running sid should be helping Debian developers and not day to day
> usage. If wanting to have updated software it looks far more suitable
> pinning to stable or testing tracking a limited number of packages
> from unstable.

First: I might actually install stable on the other partition on my hd,
but I'll have to think a bit more about that.

Next: There's plenty of reason to run unstable (at least everyone I know
that runs debian on their desktop thinks so). I normally don't have any
problems with my (stable) unstable box.

Against stable: Stable is nice, and I pray release rates are speeded up
after the fuzz about stable. But 3 years is simply too long on my
desktop. I tried backporting, never liked it.

Against testing: Testing is (in a bad way) in between stable and
testing. It seems there's no real consensus at to when packages arrive
in testing, so some part of the system is almost as old as stable and
others are as unstable as unstable.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte