[linux-audio-user] icecast2, bandwidth?

cdr ix at replic.net
Mon Jan 16 13:39:54 EST 2006

On Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 07:32:23PM +0100, Konrad Mathieu wrote:

> Following up on my recent posting about full duplex operation, I've now gotten as far as installing and running icecast2 and mplayer.
> Connecting it all using jackd or pd without a gui still seems like a bit of a mystery

i assume you mean the kh branch of ices which supports JACK? if so you could try jack.plumbing (but it never worked for me). for the JACK over UDP stuff youd actually want to use the same thing likely..

> Because a Hammerfall card and some ADAT interfaces is a bit of an investment, I wonder if anyone can estimate the bandwidth. Does
> it seem likely that an icecast box with a 100Mbit/s connection can serve and receive eight separate stereo streams simultaneously?

you can do the math, 441000 32 bit samples is what, 176.4K/second? a high quality ogg stream, say 256kbit, would use 32K/second...

> Or would that need gigabit I/O?

if you have it, it doesnt hurt to use it, especially since any kind of collisions or latency can muck things up..