[linux-audio-user] Creating tuition videos

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Sat Jan 21 11:01:31 EST 2006

Hi all,

I've been thinking about writing and producing some instrumental tuition
videos. I have a mini-DV firewire camcorder available.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any (GPL) software I can run on Linux
to create these with.

I'm planning (amongst other things) to write some examples in MIDI. I'd
like to generate some dynamic video footage of the notation - so a
student can watch a cursor moving over the score, synchronised with the
backing track audio, for example.

It would also be cool to do some other things - dynamic performance
notes, guitar tablature, chord shapes, add lyrics (maybe with cheesy
karaoke-type word highlighting...)

I'd also like to edit this together with footage of the examples being
played acoustically, and explanations of what is going on.

This is only an idea in the very early stages at the moment, but I'd
like to know what help I could get from software...

It would be nice if decent tools exist - so the hard part will be
writing the material...

Regards
Michael