[LAU] Re: Re: Re: That must suck. For me it's about beauty?--musicisjustone path

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 09:23:12 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Ismael Valladolid Torres <ivalladt at punkass.com> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard escribe:
> > Schoenberg used lots of harmony.  He wrote a textbook on harmony.  His
> > atonal systems even had some highly-developed ways of using harmony.
>
> Not exactly. According to one colleague in other mailing list, he
> wrote the most advanced textbook on harmony ever written.
>
> Obviously if you use the twelve notes, some of them will sound
> harmonically in any moment.

We looked at a Schoenberg piece in freshman theory where he used a
three-note tone row over and over again in both melodic and harmonic
forms.  None of the harmonies violated it.  I believe it was 0, 1, 4.
I don't recall the piece, but it was pretty strict.  The tone row was
not merely a melodic rule.  The harmonic rules of his system may not
have been tonal, but they existed.

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com