[LAU] opinions on Ubuntu Studio?

louman loumanpro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 02:13:37 EDT 2007

I can't say that I've truly tried Ubuntu Studio, as I already have
Feisty installed and I knew that it wasn't much of a change; I have
installed the UbuntuStudio packages, though. I'm using a third party
repo to install the kernel with RT patches.

I think it (UbuntuStudio) is a step forward in the right direction.
For one, it's pushing for better real-time support, and more
importantly, it's helping push more audio related applications into
the repos. The key here is that (hopefully many) more people will be
using the software. From what I hear, it's not the best audio-focused
distro out of the box, but Ubuntu is already a very popular and usable
distro; the linux audio world is a vast encyclopedia that takes a
while to digest, and UbuntuStudio is a great way to put working audio
apps immediately at new users' fingertips.

I hope they continue improving Ubuntu Studio and Ubuntu as a whole,
because in the end the whole linux audio world benefits; we need more
users!