[LAU] No joy from KeyKit

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 22:08:15 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 22:20 -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:
>
> (continuing on ...)
>
> did you build keykit yourself? the default linux binaries do not use the
> rawmidi MIDI devices at all. Please read the material from README_linux
> quoted below and get back to us/me on what version you're actually
> using.

I was using the key73d_linux.tar.gz from the download site (pre-built
version 7.3d).  The readme you quote is from 7.4d.  I just downloaded
the source of 7.4d, and it doesn't compile here.  Tons of warnings
before finally dying on:

real.c:16: error: static declaration of 'Currport' follows non-static
declaration
keymidi.h:77: error: previous declaration of 'Currport' was here
make[2]: *** [real.o] Error 1

What a ridiculous source package, by the way. It's a mess.  The
recommended way to build is "make install_linux" which will try to
build and install to /usr/local/bin, pretty much forcing you to build
as root.  I'd fix it, but I spend all day fixing my own and other
programmer's garbage.  I kinda hoped this would work out of the box.
Maybe I'll get some time on Sunday to look more at it.